You wouldn’t want to spend your money on a worthless food dehydrator, right? So when it’s time to make a purchase, and you really aren’t sure which food dehydrator to buy, you’d better read this article.
I have spent countless hours reviewing dozens of food dehydrators and eventually came up with the top 5 best food dehydrators for UK residents.
I compared their features and specifications, as well as their strengths and weaknesses. So you have a clear picture of how each product is, in case you choose to buy one.
Do you what a food dehydrator is anyway?
Well, a food dehydrator is an electric kitchen appliance that uses a heat source and airflow to reduce the moisture content of food such as fruits, vegetables, meat, etc., from as high as 90 % to as low as 10 %. Thus you can consider it a tool to preserve and extend the shelf life of your food.
In summary, this article covers three essential sections of the buying process. You can navigate to the part that interests you if you have no time to read the whole article.
- Top 5 food dehydrators in the UK to make beef jerky, fruits, herbs, etc.
- A buyer’s guide: How to Buy the Best Food Dehydrator (Features to Consider)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Now, let’s review our top picks.
The 5 Best Food Dehydrator UK (Beef Jerky, Fruits, Herbs):
MisterChef® food dehydrator is an excellent option to make healthy snacks. As much as it works well for all kinds of food, the dehydrator is famous for its unmatched ability to dehydrate fruits.
It has five trays, which you can adjust to 2 different positions, i.e., high and low. The low position is suitable when you want to dehydrate smaller foods, while the high position is suitable in cases where you want to dehydrate large-sized foods.
The 5 trays and the dehydrating chamber are see-through. This allows you to view your food as it dehydrates without the need to open the lid.
The fan and the heater element of the MisterChef® food dehydrator are located at the bottom, and it is a powerful 250 W motor to ensure that the air is evenly circulated within the cylindrical chamber.
We term it as the best food dehydrator UK residents can buy for its high drying efficiency and air circulation.
- It features an adjustable self-selection function for selecting the temperature and time
- 5 adjustable trays
- 24 months warranty
- 1 free color recipe book and user manual
- 2 trays positions, i.e., low and high
- Automatic shut off features
- Timer up to 42 hours
- 80 % drying efficiency
- AS cover and bracket body material
- Operates quietly
- The price matches the functionality
- The general built as well as trays and solidly built
- Easy to use
- The instruction manual doesn’t elaborate well on temperature
- You have to keep alternating trays for an even dehydration process
The KLARSTEIN Fruit Jerky 9 is a shelf model food dehydrator that offers uniform and fast drying of your fruits, vegetables, meat, mushrooms, herbs, etc., without altering the nutrient content and the taste.
The 700W motor provides enough power to propel the rear-mounted fan to circulate warm air evenly on all the 9 shelf grids. Keep in mind that this is a large food dehydrator. So it’s suitable for large families or people who like organizing parties.
The shelf grids are made chromium-plated metal and can be individually removed for easy loading of food as well as cleaning the unit and the shelf grids. The grids are dishwasher-proof.
The adjustable temperature up to 5 steps, a programmable drying time timer up to 19:30 h alongside the easy to use controls makes this kitchen the best food dehydrator UK residents can buy.
Take note that the product comes with a licensed EU to UK converter plug. So before shipping, the manufacture will open and install the plug first.
- Adjustable temperature from 35-70 ° C in 5 steps
- Customizable timer up to 19: 30 h
- The display is on the top
- 9 dishwasher safe chromium-plated metal shelf grids
- Comes with a collecting tray that is non-stick coated
- 600-700 watts power consumption
- Rear-mounted fan for horizontal heat transmission
- The unit is easy to clean as you can remove the grids
- Easy to operate – the unit is has a programmable timer and adjustable temperature
- Preserves the taste and flavor of the food
- Versatile food dehydrator; it can dry an extensive range of foods
- Works quiet
- The food dries evenly
- If you use maximum temperature, the machine gets hot within 4 hours
- When you set up the unit, it beeps annoyingly loud
- Control buttons look cheap
The SousVideTools® Hendi 9 tray is a large-sized food dehydrator. With a whopping 9 trays, you can dehydrate more food at a go.
The 9 trays are removable, making it easy to clean and pack load the food to be dehydrated. Again, stainless steel trays are dishwasher safe, tremendously making it easy to clean them.
An impressive feature with this food dehydrator is how easy you can operate the unit, thanks to the simple design – ON/OFF switch and a single button for temperature settings. Thus, the best food dehydrator UK family people.
The rear-mounted 500-watt heater, large fan, and massive dehydrating chamber size makes the food dehydrator an excellent choice for people with large families.
I love the fact that it gives even and faster dehydration due to the power it packs.
- Horizontal airflow system for even, uninterrupted drying
- 9 removable Stainless Steel trays
- Square tray design offering a larger capacity than the round tray design
- Comes with a user guide
- Solid and superior build quality and great modern looks
- The removable hanging front door
- Trays are dishwasher safe, evenly spaced and are easy to remove
- Easy to use
- Simple controls since there no display to go wrong
- Removable shelves allow you to have space for raising yeast dough
- Plenty shelf space/spacious
- Removing and rotating shelve is easy during the dehydration process
- The racks are made of metals for durability
- The instruction on the manual are scanty
- If you fill all the 9 shelves, drying the food takes longer as compared to fill a few shelves
The 5-Tray electric food dehydrator is the best food dehydrator UK markets has, for its accurate drying temperatures, thanks to the adjustable digital temperature control.
Each of the BPA free trays can be individually removed, making the handling and cleaning process a breeze. Like others, you can dehydrate beef jerky, herbs, and fruit slices, among others.
The fan and 250W heater elements are bottom-mounted, but, the 360-degree hot air circulation system ensures that the airflow reaches the topmost shelve faster. Thus, minimizing the need to rotate trays. The technology makes the machine one of the fastest food dehydrators.
Keep in mind that the construction is transparent, which offers an easy way to monitor the process of food preparation on all the trays.
- The unit is built of plastic while trays are constructed of stainless Steel
- 5 Stackable and removable trays
- The height is adjustable
- Multi-tier electric food dehydrator
- Has one operational button that is easy to operate
- Comes with Accessories
- It is easy to get the settings right
- It works faster as compared to other brands
- The unit is ultra-quiet
- The ability to adjust temperature makes it easy to get precise dehydrating temperatures
- Transparent construction for quick and easy monitoring
- Tray rotation is necessary for even dehydration
- Some customers complained of faulty fan and motor
The VonShef 5 Tier isn’t a big food dehydrator. But it packs powerful features like an adjustable thermostat, easy-to-use tray system, and an excellent price point.
The unit looks simple – On the front side, you find a temperature dial showing the most common temperatures for different foods. There is only a single dial knob. Again, within its motor is overheating protection, which guarantees safer operations.
The removable 5 trays make it easy to handle the unit. Unfortunately, there is no option to expand to more than 5 trays. What’s unique about the trays is that they have a modular tray tracking system that allows you to stack your trays in 2 different heights, i.e., low and high. This way, you can cater to foods that have both thinner and thicker cross-sections.
I find the VonShef 5 Tier Food Dehydrator is the best food dehydrator UK residents can buy for its strength in retaining flavor and vital nutrients. It uses the flow dry system, which slowly extracts moisture without interfering with nutrients and flavor.
However, a point of concern, though, is that to dehydrate yogurt in this unit, you need to buy fruit roll sheets because the ventilation holes in the trays are quite large. Nevertheless, you can dehydrate your tomatoes, banana chips, fruit roll-ups, dried herbs, beef jerky, etc.
- 5 fully removable trays
- Adjustable thermostat
- 2 Year Warranty
- A powerful 250W motor
- Stainless steel and plastic housing
- Top-mounted fan
- Ventilation feature
- Variable tray system of stacking
- The instruction manual is easy to understand
- The unit is easy to clean
- Relatively quiet
- Offers value for money
- Compact design takes up little space as compared to microwave
- Works slowly
- The maximum temperature reached is 63 degree Celsius as opposed to the advertised 70 degrees
A Buyer’s Guide: How to Buy the Best Food Dehydrator
- Temperature control: the ability to adjust drying temperatures appropriately offers the versatility for prioritizing different desired results. For instance, drying fish or meat requires higher temperatures (for hygiene purposes) as compared to dehydrating fruits and vegetables, which needs to preserve enzymes and nutrients maximally. So buy dehydrators with accurate temperature control.
- Stacking trays or horizontal shelves? A stacking tray/Vertical dehydrator has a heating element and fan at the bottom and blows warmed air upwards through the trays. Such dehydrators are usually cheap, have a smaller footprint, and expandable. By contrast, the horizontal airflow typically comes with one or more heating elements and fans. Their most significant advantage is that they give even drying without the need to rotate trays.
- Dehydrator with timer: a timer is handy in cases where you want to leave your dehydrator unattended. That means it will switch off after a specific time. The standard version of timers includes 12, 24, 26, or 99 hours. Note that those without timers can utilize a plug-in timer.
- Noise Levels: buy a dehydrator that produces less noise, though the noise level is relative.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a food dehydrator work?
A food dehydrator has a heat source, fan, and vents. The heating element produces heat that warms the food to drive out moisture from within the food. The fan circulates the heat to all parts of the dehydrator. Also, the fan drives away the moisture through the vent system
How long does it take to dehydrate food?
It depends on the type and thickness of food. On average, it takes 15 hours for most foods. For instance, apples take 6 hours while bananas take 15 hours. Beef jerky takes 4 to 15 hours, mushrooms 6 hours, vegetables 12 hours, herbs 1 to 4 hours, and flowers 5 hours.
Can I over dehydrate my food?
Yes. You can over dehydrate food if you use your food dehydrator on too high temperatures or for longer than required.
What is the wattage requirement for a food dehydrator?
500-watts minimum for large food dehydrators. This wattage gives even dehydration.
What kinds of foods can I dehydrate?
Meat, vegetable crisps, bananas, apples, make fruit leather, mushrooms, herbs, and seasonal fruits
A food dehydrator is a handy kitchen appliance. When you decide to buy one, ensure that you get value for your money. How? Find a product that caters to your needs, and they should have top-shelf features. The above-reviewed appliances are the Best Food Dehydrator UK residents can buy without regrets.
Related Buyer’s Guides:
- The 5 Best Food Dehydrator in India 2020 (Review)
- Best Food Dehydrators for Beef Jerky, Herbs, Fruits
- 5 Best Food Dehydrator Australia and New Zealand