Mobility scooters, also called scooters for the elderly, have the function of increasing your life quality significantly. It restores the freedom that you otherwise risk losing or have already lost. Buying a lightweight mobility scooter is not an easy job and takes lots of time to select the right one.
This article has rounded up the top 5 best lightweight mobility scooters according to the user’s needs. It helps to do activities that you have always done previously, such as hang out with friends or shopping or going to parties, etc. Also, you will be able to enjoy newfound freedom with safety!
How Do I Get Medicare To Pay For A Mobility Scooter?
Senior persons over the age of 65 face issues to move around. For them, a mobility scooter is a better option, and Medicare provides insurance facilities for them on scooters. For qualifying for Medicare medical insurance, your age should be a minimum of 65 and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident for more than 5 years. The coverage is included with DME (Durable Medical Equipment) for mobility scooters and manual wheelchairs. Also, you have to make an appointment with Medicare and a written prescription from an authorized doctor.
Table of Content:
Here is the table of content for your quick navigation:
If you want to know the features of our selected lightweight mobility scooters, you can go through the comparison chart below:
The 5 Best Lightweight Mobility Scooters for 2021: – In-Depth Guide
Mobility scooters incorporate a series of features to be adapted to the user’s different needs. So, we have reviewed the 5 best lightweight mobility scooters that will fulfill your necessities. Let’s have a look.
1. TravelScoot (35 lbs) World’s Lightest Folding Electric Mobility Scooter for Adults
TravelScoot World’s Lightest Folding Electric Mobility Scooter comes with an adjustable seat that is comfortable for adults who have disabilities. You can adjust the seat height up to 2 inches, and the swivel allows you to move right to the left easily. It has a steering column that can be adjusted from 26 to 39 inches according to your height and ensure a more comfortable ride. Its 3 wheels come with solid tires that provide super grip on the road.
It has a backrest that provides support while driving. You can easily adjust the height of the backrest when you need it. For carrying things, it has included a storage bag that makes it handy. The scooter runs with a 274 Wh lithium-ion battery, which weighs 4 pounds, and it goes 7 to 14 miles based on the user’s weight. It supports up to 350 pounds of user weight, so everyone able to ride the scooter.
The scooter’s total weight is 35 pounds, and you can easily fold the bike and place it in the car trunk. This feature makes it the best lightweight folding mobility scooter. Its top speed is 4.5 mph, which is enough for a city ride. It is equipped with a rear-wheel drive that helps to ride in terrain places. The metal of the scooter will never rust for its high-grade aluminum-grade frame. You can easily go forward and reverse with a power switch. It has 2 manual brakes that provide superb braking performance.
- It has an adjustable seat and steering that provides a super comfortable ride on-road and terrain.
- It runs with a 274 Wh battery that provides 4.5 mph top speed and allows you to go 7 to 14 miles and according to your weight.
- The storage bag is located on foot stands that allow you to keep necessary things.
- The Aircraft-grade aluminum frame ensures durability and rust-free long-lasting service.
- It has 3 wheels that included solid tiers, provide a strong grip and smooth riding experience.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K6SRM4L?tag=mobilitydisr-20″ style=”3d” background=”#F76833″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: external-link”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
2. Glion SNAPnGO 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
Glion SNAPnGO comes with 17.5 inches padded seat that can be adjusted to provide comfortable riding. It has an adjustable handlebar, which is included with control switches and brakes. The control switches allow you to move forward with the right thumb and reverse with the left thumb. It will stop when you release the throttle and then press the brake.
Its 250W hub motor runs with 36 volts 6.4 ah li-ion battery that provides 7 mph top speed allows 12.5 miles on a full charge to be the best mobility scooter for outdoors. The battery has UN 38.3 and FAA complaints that allow you to go to the airport from your destination. It has 3 wheels that come with 8 inches honeycomb tiers that are only used on military vehicles to get a better grip and smooth ride on the road. The front and rear LED lights will help you to ride at night.
The portable electric scooter for adults can hold up to 300 pounds of user weight. It has an emergency hand brake that will save you from accidents. Without a seat and battery, it weighs about 31 pounds that makes it easy to carry. You can easily fold the scooter within a few seconds and can be placed in the backseat and trunk of your vehicle.
Glion SNAPnGO Features:
- The scooter comes with a wide adjustable seat with a backrest and handles that are perfect and commutable for adults who have difficulties.
- Its weight is about 31 lbs and easily foldable that can be placed under the car’s back seat or trunk.
- The 250W hub motor runs with 36 volts 6.4 ah li-ion battery that allows riding 12 miles on a full charge.
- It has a hand brake and electric motor brake that provide superior braking performance to prevent accidents.
- It has 3 8 inches honeycomb wheels and front-rear LED lights that allow you to ride comfortably at night.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CPD2HQ4?tag=mobilitydisr-20″ style=”3d” background=”#F76833″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: external-link”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
3. WISHING Folding Electric 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
WISHING Folding Electric Travel Scooter comes with high quality cushioned seat and backrest that provide greater comfort during riding. You can remove the seat cover to clean and change it if you want. It has side handles that allow you to sit on the scooter straightly. Its upright handle is suitable for all height people and included brakes and reverse gear. The reverse gear helps to adjust the driving position to get rid of crowd areas.
Its 350W motor is powered with a 10 ah lithium battery that allows you to ride 18.6 miles with a single charge. Its maximum is 9 mph, and it depends on your weight. It has a bright LED light that reaches up to 15 to 18 feet away for riding at night. It has three 10 inches wheels covered with super grip tiers to provide stable riding performance. Also, it can be stopped by releasing the throttle and pressing the brake located in the left hand.
It weighs 58 pounds, making it the lightest weight folding mobility scooter, and supports up to 280 pounds of user weight. You can fold the bike within 3 seconds and easily place it on the car trunk. If you want, you can take it with you on the plane, train, or wherever you want because its folding size is similar to a briefcase. You will get reliable customer support if you face any problem with the scooter.
WISGING Folding Electric Features:
- It has a wide padded and washable seat with a side handle and backrest that ensures comfort riding experience.
- The 350W motor runs with a 10 ah lithium battery, which allows you to ride 18.6 miles on a full charge with a maximum of 9 mph top speed.
- 10 inches three wheels come with solid tires that ensure a strong grip when you press the brake and provides smooth riding.
- It has a reverse function that helps to eliminate traffic jams and crowd areas within a short time.
- For its compact size, you can quickly fold it and place it in small places like a car trunk, under the backseat, etc.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z83QYTN?tag=mobilitydisr-20″ style=”3d” background=”#F76833″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: external-link”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
4. Go-Go Ultra X 3-Wheel Travel Mobility Scooter
Go-Go Ultra X comes with a luxury cushioned seat that provides comfort during riding. It has a delta tiller handle adjusted according to your weight and supports users who have hand insensitivity. Also, it has an armrest and backrest that ensure more comfortable riding. The lightest mobility scooter on the market can hold up to 260 pounds of user weight, which means it can support all users.
The scooter’s total weight is 75 pounds, and you can break it down into 5 parts so you can take it with you into a vehicle. It has a motor that runs with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery. You can ride up to 7 miles on a full charge with 4 mph top speed. Its paddle stand is large, so you can move your legs easily while riding.
It comes with a basket to carry necessary items that are located with the handlebar. It has 33 inches turning radius that allows taking U-turn without going reverse. You can charge the battery with an onboard and off-board charger. The 3 wheel travel mobility scooter has an auto lockup system that ensures stability with good braking performance.
Go-Go Ultra X 3 Features:
- The scooter can be disassembled into 5 parts that allow us to place small places like a car trunk.
- It has a cushioned seat with an armrest and backrest that provides a comfortable riding experience.
- Its weight is 75lbs and can hold up to 260lbs user weight.
- The battery-powered motor helps to run the scooter up to 7 miles with 4 mph top speed.
- Its 33 inches turning radius and three wheels allow it to move on the road easily.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PCH45C?tag=mobilitydisr-20″ style=”3d” background=”#F76833″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: external-link”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
5. Travel Pro Premium 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter by Pride
Travel pro premium 3 wheel mobility scooter comes with a faux leather padded seat that provides a comfortable seating position. You can adjust the seat height and handlebar according to your height. Also, it has a padded armrest and backrest that can be flipped up so you can easily move your body stable while riding.
The scooter can be broken down into 5 parts that allow transport independently and easy to assemble. You can easily take it with you for use during travel. It can hold up to 275 pounds of user weight so that anyone can drive the scooter. It has a powerful motor powered up with a rechargeable battery and can run up to 7 miles on a full charge with 4 mph top speed. For these features, it can be considered as the best lightweight mobility scooter.
The scooter’s three wheels provide a proper grip on the road. You can brake by releasing the throttle and take a U-turn without moving reverse. It has two 12 volts batteries that are powerful enough. To carry necessary items, it has included a basket that is located with the handlebar.
Travel Pro Premium Features:
- The scooter comes with a faux leather padding seat that offers a comfortable drive.
- It has 12 volts, two battery that is powerful and helps run 7 miles on a full charge.
- You can break it into 5 parts that help place it in the car trunk and other small places.
- The basket in front of the handlebar allows you to keep necessary and personal items.
- Users up to 275 pounds can ride easily on the scooter up to 4 mph at top speed.
[su_button url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SMBL4W?tag=mobilitydisr-20″ style=”3d” background=”#F76833″ size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”round” icon=”icon: external-link”]Check Amazon Price[/su_button]
How to Choose the Best Lightweight Mobility Scooter?
The mobility scooter has restored the lives of countless sick, elderly, or disabled people. This scooter has helped people who have been unable to travel far without assistance to achieve a remarkable level of freedom. If you are purchasing a mobility scooter, some factors have to be considered. They are:
A mobility scooter has a small seat that is usually found on small and medium-sized scooters. At the same time, large seats with backrests and support are seen on larger scooters. Also, they can be adjusted according to your height, and some can even be moved back and forth. Some large seats offer angles and heights with adjustable backrest and headrest to comfort the user.
Mobility scooter wheels have three factors:
The number of wheels (if they are 3 wheels or 4 wheels).
The type of wheels (If they are solid or pneumatic).
The size of the wheels
The 3-wheelers are more stable and secure than the 2-wheelers, but the decision will depend on each person’s needs and taste. The wheels can also be solid, pneumatic, or combined. The pneumatic wheels absorb shocks to make the ride smoother. Solid wheels do not puncture, so they do not need maintenance. The bigger the wheels, the better they will overcome obstacles.
Mobility scooters are effortless to steer since they have a handlebar or steering wheel. It allows the front wheels to move, giving direction to the movement of the vehicle.
Generally, controls are located on the handlebar that allows them to move easily. Users use their fingers and thumbs to control the mobility scooter’s ride: the forward control is generally on the right side, and the reverse controls are on the left.
If you want to buy a lightweight mobility scooter, you should know that some portable scooters (the smallest ones) do not have an adjustable tiller. Therefore, you should evaluate whether the fixed position of the rudder or steering wheel works for you.
The largest mobility scooters can reach a maximum speed of 12 km/h. A good quality mobility scooter can travel between 15 to 50 km depending on the speed, the weight of the user, and if you are going on a flat area or a slope.
Mobility scooters use batteries to power the electric motor. The smallest scooters have 5Ah batteries, and the largest or the top end has 20Ah batteries. Make sure that you can go a minimum of 10 to 15 km distance on a full charge. Also, battery lifespan should be at least 12 months on heavy use.
All mobility scooters must have brakes that help to prevent accidents. The scooter’s brakes stop working when the user stops accelerating. Some mobility scooters have an emergency brake that helps to stop the rear wheels and ensure safety from the accident.
Weight and capacity
Always keep in mind the factor of weight when you are going to buy a scooter. Check how much weight your scooter can take. So, take the mobility scooter that can hold up to 230 to 300 pounds of user weight.
Some mobility scooters are easily disassembled for transport in the trunk of a car. It is necessary to check whether the mobility scooter is foldable and removable in various parts (seat, rear axle, basket, etc.).
Note: Above, we have discussed the things that should be kept in mind to select the perfect lightweight mobility scooter, but if you want to know more about this, you can check this guideline on how to choose a mobility scooter?
Why Should You Buy A Lightweight Mobility Scooter?
It would be best to buy a mobility scooter for various benefits that allow you to move around the city, shopping mall, and other remote areas. The benefits are:
- A mobility scooter is lightweight and very compact, so you can easily take with you under the backseat of the car, car trunk, etc., by folding or disassembling. Also, you can take on the train, bus, plane, and other public transport you want.
- Lack of physical strength, you cannot walk or run smoothly, and sometimes we may face slippage, falling, and other unexpected accidents. In this case, a mobility scooter will be a safe and better option for you. It reduces the risk of slippage and falls and provides you an enjoyable ride.
- The mobility scooter is easy to drive. It has a comfortable seat with an armrest and backrest that offers stability during riding. Also, you can easily control the scooter with hand thumbs even you have hand insensitivity.
- A mobility scooter helps to go to the shops, move around the garden, going to relative’s houses, parks, beaches, and more without any hesitation.
For these benefits, you should own a lightweight mobility scooter. Now, you can choose the best one for our above-reviewed mobility scooters.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have answered some frequently asked questions about the best lightweight mobility scooter.
Can I carry passengers on a mobility scooter?
Can I ride a mobility scooter on the pavement?
Does a mobility scooter need to be registered?
Can I get a mobility scooter on the NHS?
Do you need to insure a mobility scooter?
A mobility scooter can be an advantageous purchase, offering the possibility of accessing previously inaccessible places. Buying the right scooter is challenging, although a well-chosen can be very useful for the user. So, we have rounded up the 5 best lightweight mobility scooters. From them, I would like to recommend Travel Pro Premium 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter that can hold up to 275lbs user weight. You can break it down into 5 lightweight parts to carry in the car trunk or under the backseat separately. It has a battery-powered motor that offers up to 6.3 miles on a full charge with 4 mph top speed.