Losing weight is one of the most searched routines on the internet. Everybody wants to be healthy and shed the extra pounds quickly. There’s a new dieting trend known as intermittent fasting that allows you to eat less on some days and normal on other days. This begs the question; Can you lose weight eating 800 calories a day?
The short answer, yes, it is possible. According to Dr. Michael Mosley, reducing your calorie intake even for two or three days a week can make a huge difference in your weight loss journey. If done properly, you can achieve rapid weight loss, which is safe and effective. The diet only comprises protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients.
Is it OK to eat 800 calories a day to lose weight?
Yes, it is okay to eat 800 calories a day and be able to lose weight. It is an 800 fast diet developed by Dr. Michael Mosley to help reduce lifestyle health issues such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. Technically, by eating 800calories a day, you lose weight, reduce abdominal fat and high blood sugar levels.
The 800 fast diets is divided into two stages: following a strict daily eating plan that involves only 800 calories. The first stage directs you to take a very low-calorie diet (VLCD) that consists of 600 calories and combines with 200 calories vegetables. This specific diet is perfect for individuals who want to lose weight fast, have reached a weight plateau, or suffering from type 2 diabetes. If this is too demanding, you can try out mild Ketosis that helps the body to burn fat quicker.
The second stage of the dieting plan needs you to take 800 calories a day for two days a week and combining it with healthy, low carbs of the Mediterranean diet for the remaining five days in a week. In this stage, the process discourages processing foods and embraces healthy home-cooked meals. You can focus on lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. That way, you sustain protein intake to maintain your muscles and support metabolism.
Besides, the plan insists on time-restricted eating to ensure the process works. Once you achieve the desired weight goals, you can maintain them by following a strict Mediterranean diet. That way, you keep the lost weight away, and you lead a healthy lifestyle.
How much weight can I lose on 800 calories per day?
By limiting your diet to 800 calories a day, you can lose 3 to 5 pounds per week if you’re obese. Note that this weight-loss program is designed for shedding weight fast at the beginning. On average, you can lose about 44 pounds after 12 weeks of following the plan religiously. By the end of it, you’ll be feeling much better, more energy, and reduced the chances of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
Within the first three to six months, you can lose about 15% to 25% of your initial weight. In the long run, you need to combine the diet with exercises and follow-up treatment. That way, you can adopt a healthier lifestyle and ensure the lost weight stays away.
Why am I not losing weight eating 800 calories a day?
Losing weight can sometimes be a stressful process and even worse if you do not see any difference. If you’ve taken the 800 calories diet plan, you expect to see results, but a few things could be frustrating you:
- The idea of this strict diet plan is to lose weight by watching your calorie intake. Eating nutritious food is the goal, but that doesn’t allow you to eat unlimited amounts without consequences. This means you have to pay attention to the number of calories in food, adding up to 800 calories and nothing more. Since it’s a numbers game, you cannot afford to compromise.
- You can also be trying to squeeze in exercises and sometimes go crazy to reach your goal faster. Sometimes, you can be miscalculating the calories you burn during an exercise; that’s why it seems like it’s not working. Furthermore, each person is different, and you might just be burning calories slower than other people might. To get the most accurate reading, wear a monitor to track your calories burned.
- Also, if you’re eating out, there’s no sure way to know if your meal contains the right amount of calories. Even if the restaurant is keen on nutritional value, you can’t expect the kitchen crew to weigh and measure each ingredient for accuracy. Of course, you can’t avoid eating out altogether, but you can cook at home if you really want good results.
- If you’re big on snacking, that can be your other problem. This is because the stated number of calories on the packaging isn’t always accurate. Sometimes the brands reduce the number to get you into thinking it’s perfectly okay. That way, you take in more calories than you should, and your weight increases instead of shedding.
- Also, you could be overlooking the calories in your drinks. For instance, you could be taking a healthy glass of juice with around 165 calories. If not included in your initial numbers, you’ll be having more than 800 calories. If, by any chance, you have a few glasses during the day, well, you’ll be exceeding the 800 calories making it hard to lose weight.
Do you poop less when losing weight?
While you might feel lighter after you poop, you don’t actually lose any weight. Yes, you might poop less since you’re taking in less food. Most likely, you might get constipation that can be alleviated by taking in more vegetables.
Intermittent fasting sounds like a good idea, but you need to think it through carefully. Your body needs essential nutrients, and the dieting plan doesn’t allow work well with everyone. You might want to schedule a meeting with your nutritionist and ask if you can lose weight by eating 800 calories a day. Starving yourself can cause serious health issues, and you need to consider if that’s a risk you’re willing to take.