With all the veganism and juice cleanses lifestyle gaining more followers, a raw food diet is quickly becoming a norm. Raw food diet is a healthier option compared to cooked food. The raw food diet is a clean, simple diet that minimizes toxins from all processed food and improves your well-being, loses weight, and feel better in general.
This is where the dehydrators come in. Unlike most cooking appliances, the dehydrators don’t cook the food; they use minimum temperatures and a fan to dry out the food. Dehydrating food retains most of the nutrients in your food while twisting it in texture and flavors.
In case you’re wondering about the dehydrators, this guide will teach you about them and give you pointers to help you choose the best dehydrators for raw food.
The 10 Best dehydrators for raw foods and vegetables (Vegans) 2021:
The all-new Excalibur 3900B is perfect for large families. This creative device can dehydrate large quantities of food evenly and in a short time, allowing everyone to enjoy their meal.
It has an efficient horizontal airflow system, 9 polycarbonate tray layers, and has a power of 600 W.
Furthermore, its temperature control system ranges between 105 degrees Fahrenheit to 165 degrees Fahrenheit, and you can adjust it to your liking.
It comes with a user-friendly control panel that includes a built-in on/off switch, adjustable thermostat, and a deluxe non-heavy duty timer.
- The Excalibur dehydrator is cheaper than other brands. You can easily order one on Amazon at discounted prices and free shipping.
- You can save more on power, time, and effort.
- It preserves food effectively since it distributes air evenly.
- Easy preparation. All you need to dehydrate food is clean thoroughly, slice as desired, and arrange them well on the trays.
- Cleaning the appliance is simplified to only removing the used trays, washing with no need to scrub, and placing them back gently.
- You can easily adjust the thermostat as desired, depending on the nature of the food.
- Trays are layered individually to create more space. They are also removable, convenient for when you need to dry bulky products.
2. STX INTERNATIONAL Dehydra Commercial Food Dehydrator
This powerful dehydrator is packed with 1200 watts of power, much higher than most market brands. It also has a larger crying space with tough components and 10 stainless steel trays that can easily access and clean. So far, it has good reviews and seems to be dominating the industry.
- Ten Extra large 100% stainless steel drying trays that measure 16 inches wide x 14.5 inches deep.
- Features 1200 watts of dehydrating power with adjustable thermostat ranging from 36C to 74C
- Horizontal airflow food dehydrators that are powered by an electric motor mounted at the back.
- A digital control panel with up to 15 hours shut off timer. The timer has an LCD screen with a 5-minute interval, adjustable by up and down buttons that automatically stops when the timer hits zero.
- The dehydrator comes with an easy to use cookbook loaded with 126 pages of over 270 tantalizing dehydrating recipes. This Cookbook also Includes General Drying Temperatures, Shelf Life Comparisons, Fruit Drying Guide, Vegetable Drying Guide, List of What is In Season during the Year.
- Easy to use, clean and maintain in a normal kitchen setting
- It comes with a 1-year fix warranty
- It’s good value for money
Tribest Sedona is a perfect dehydrator for raw foods and was created with health enthusiasts in mind. It’s super stylish with enough room for all your products.
- The dehydrator has nine 100% BPA-free trays or stainless steel trays. That means you have nothing to worry about since no harmful toxins are released during the drying process.
- The device is super silent when dehydrating.
- It is equipped with a user-friendly 2 stage digital timer, mesh windows, dual fan, and temperature control program.
- It comes with pre-installed overheat protection to prevent your products from being overheated.
- It has plenty of room for all of your dehydration needs.
- It has a 5-year warranty.
4. L’Equip filter pro food dehydrators
L’Equip filter pro dehydrators deliver great competitive features and programmable possibilities. It’s a cool product with plenty of space and tools to prepare delicious healthy foods and snacks. The dehydrator is user-friendly with simplified control panels.
- The L’Equip dehydrator comes in a shiny silver color that blends beautifully with your up-to-date appliances.
- It’s lightweight, durable, and can fit comfortably in the cupboards when not in use.
- It has 24 feet of drying space, allowing you to dry your food comfortably.
- Spacious 6 stackable trays with patent-pending air filtration system create clean, filtered air.
- Includes 2 fruit leather trays, 6 mesh screens, and a 4-yogurt compartment.
- 24-hour digital LED timer and temperature display control (95-156 degrees).
- Uses 535 watts of power.
- Microprocessor controlled heat sensor for stable drying environment.
- A 10-year warranty is guaranteed.
- It comes with a healthy recipe booklet and user guides to get you started as soon as you would like.
Nesco dehydrator is a unique appliance that makes drying food a breeze providing you with healthy treats that you can enjoy with your loved ones.
The process is made simpler for everyday use. It comes with an impressive 1000 watt of dehydrating power and an adjustable thermostat to help reduce the food’s moisture but retain the nutrients.
During the drying process, the air flows evenly while carrying away the excessive air in the device. Thanks to the temperature control panel, you can easily regulate any wastage as you dehydrate your treats.
If you dry well, the results of your food should be a masterpiece.
- Has 1,000 watts of drying power
- The food dehydrator works at the optimum speed to dehydrate veggies and fruits, beef jerky, and even herbs and flowers.
- Comes with an adjustable thermostat that allows you to dry foods of all kinds
- Patented Converge-Flow system that controls the airflow within the working space
- It dries food uniformly without the need to rotate trays.
- Foods dry quickly due to the fan that operates at 2,400 RPM.
- Food is preserved and nutrients retained.
- Expandable Sizeable 30 trays with clean screens and fruit roll sheets
6. TSM 100% stainless steel dehydrator
While its general appearance is not the most stylish or doesn’t stand out from other dehydrators, but its efficiency should get your attention.
As a raw vegan enthusiast, this 100% steel machine should serve you well. It is large enough to prepare food for a large family.
The 10 trays are spaced well enough to allow the horizontal airflow to pass easily to get a uniform result. It is excellent for preparing to make natural healthy treats such as jerky fruit leathers, pear chips, any raw food recipes, and other dried fruits or vegetables.
- It’s stacked with 10 stainless steel shelves 22ga-304 standard grade
- Adjustable thermostat
- Removable back panel for easy routine maintenance, and cleaning
- A super quiet fan, with a horizontal airflow for even dehydration
- 800 watt of drying power
- Adjustable thermostat with temperature variations ranges from 90º – 165ºF
- Outside dimensions: 17 x 19 x 16.25 inch
- Has a 1-year warranty
Presto Dehydro is a sleek all-white model with opaque trays, sitting on each other beautifully. It is a small dehydrator fit for someone looking for a smaller version of the appliances.
The model blends well in your kitchen, and you can put it away in a cupboard when not in it. That’s convenient for someone with minimum counter space.
- It has a maximum of 750W of power that helps reduce the drying time considerably.
- Six trays (can expand up to 12 trays) ideal for drying foods, fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish.
- 2 fruit roll sheets, 2 nonstick mesh screen trays, and a safety cover that can be cleaned in a dishwasher
- A digital timer that ranges between 30 minutes up to 48 hours of the nonstop drying process
- The temperature can be regulated and varies between 90 and 165 degrees.
- It has an LCD screen with a digital panel that controls both the timer and thermostat
This stylish model shares basic functions with the rest of the appliances listed here but serves meat and other bulky food best.
- Five stackable trays with one fine-mesh sheet for drying sensitive foods like herbs and flowers; one solid sheet for making fruit rolls and vegetable chips.
- Has a digital thermostat regulator (temperature ranges 100-160° F)
- Integrated airflow distribution airflow with a 500W of drying power
- 48-hour timer with an automatic stop and a clear lid so you can monitor the food drying
This model has a nice ring to its name and outstanding performance to make it stand out. It’s designed in California to cater to your needs and is great value for money.
- 6 stainless steel trays, a mesh screen, and a fruit roll sheet
- User-friendly digital control panel
- Adjustable timer for up to 48 hours in 30-minute increments then auto shut off kicks in right when the timer ends
- It’s durable, safe, and quiet
- Completely BPA-free trays and are approved for dishwasher
- 1 Manual and a cookbook with over 50 recipes
- Made with food-grade stainless steel and glass front door
- Overheat protection will activate if the dehydrator overheats.
The Dehydrator is a medium-sized dehydrator that gives you plenty of space to make your desired dried food in the comfort of your home.
It comes with multiple temperature control options, including low, medium, high, and strong fans to dry your food evenly.
- A powerful 620W motorized fan, with a top vent for a fast and quiet system
- 9 stacks of trays that can be adjusted
- Adjustable temperature control with low, medium, and high options
- Preserves the food natural nutrients with no preservatives or additives
What should you look for in a dehydrator for preparing raw food?
Before you start shopping and investing your money into a random dehydrator for raw food, it’s important to learn about what makes a top-notch raw food diet dehydrator machine. There are many things to look for in a dehydrator before buying it.
Size is an important factor; the bigger the dehydrator, is better for your food. You need to fit as much food into the appliance and save you time, money, and effort to keep changing every few minutes. The preferred dehydrators have nine or trays.
However, available counter space and your budget should also influence your choice; if you have minimal counter space, it’s best to buy a smaller model with four or five trays. It might not be the most efficient but will fit better in your working space. Also, confirm that your trays are made of stainless steel and BPA- free to avoid harmful toxins contaminating your food as the drying process continues.
Opting for a built-in automatic digital timer can save a lot of effort. The timers should have up to one hundred hours to help the dehydrator keep track of the dehydration process without needing your intervention. So it’s safe to set the timer and continue with other activities.
Temperature control & fan
An efficient dehydrator needs an adjustable thermostat. Most of the appliances have high, medium, or light temperature control and a fan option. The fan distributes heat evenly through the tray levels and prevents overheating your raw food. So your dehydrator needs to have one.
Use lighter settings when dealing with sensitive foods like organic produce and fruits. Temperatures should range between 40C as the low temp to 45C range as high temperature. Anything above that will destroy the food’s natural nutrients, and the whole useful drying process will be useless.
The power of the motor determines the best dehydrator. Note that the dehydrator can be powered by electricity or solar.
Although most electric models are popular among buyers due to their efficiency and temperature control, generally, if the device has a motor with an average of 500 watts, it requires less energy to dry out food, especially if you’re planning to leave it running for a long time. That way you can save on your electricity bill.
If you plan to dry thick food, stuff like meat, in a short time, it’s best to use higher wattage for better results.
Different models are made differently, and some have a louder motor or fan than others. If you prefer having a noise-free kitchen environment, you should consider that when testing the devices. Generally, expensive or advanced dryers are silent.
Dehydrators come in various shapes and sizes. The most common ones are rectangular with a horizontal airflow, while others are round with vertical airflow.
In rectangular ones, both the motor and the fan are located at the back of the device—that way, and the airflow is evenly distributed to all trays.
Horizontal dehydrators are at an advantage since the air circulates easily and minimizes the risk of forming mold. Also, you do not have to rearrange the pallets when you need to remove them.
Since there’s enough space, you have room to adjust the drying space, remove excess pallets, add larger containers, and dry bulk foodstuff. Besides, the rectangular dehydrator is so much easier to clean.