Ideally, we all have experienced some blissful infatuation at some point in our lives, constant preoccupation with someone, instances of daydreaming, smiling like an idiot, having butterflies in the presence of someone, turning a normal conversation about an apple into an excuse to discuss their glittering eyes or even raising your hopes too high than what it seems to be.
Generally, infatuation can be viewed as the state of struggling with incredibly huge and deep feelings for someone.
In relevance to an article by the Harvard Department of Neurobiology, infatuation can be very destructive and, at times, cause people to overestimate the overall outcome.
Effects of Infatuation
Some of the effects of infatuation incorporate, to mention but a few:
- Results to Intolerable Behavior: Ideally, for an infatuated individual, they take it upon themselves to take responsibility for the expectations that they carry for their own negative reactions. Instead of understanding their fantasies and adjusting themselves positively, they bring it upon themselves to engage in different tragic and intolerable behavior. Infatuation results in someone feeling that they deserve much better than they are currently offered. In other instances, infatuation might also result in staking, which is an appealing behavior and intolerable.
- Infatuations Might Result in Disappointments: As stated in the text above, infatuation might result in raising your expectations too high and hoping for a better or rather colorful outcome. Infatuation makes you feel a strong passion towards an individual and assume that that feeling might last forever but what we normally forget is that the feeling doesn’t last for long. It is ubiquitous for us individuals when we experience something intense or even profound for one reason or another. We end up doing what another individual can do with the same situation, building up an eternality with that person. Ideally, both time and the future cannot simply live in the same moment, and that way, you end up been disappointed.
- Infatuation Has A Shelf-Life: Generally, infatuation is based on fantasy, and the reality around it can not be maintained for a longer time. Infatuation is in such a way that it’s filled with irrationality and idealization, and this way, once’s the reality of the situation creeps in. You become aware that your feelings are inappropriate as well unfounded. Apparently, once you start a relationship based on infatuation, then many are when the relationship becomes boring, and the blame game kicks off.
How Can Infatuation be Destructive?
Most people always deny that infatuation is normally a passing could and that it doesn’t last long. They are normally convinced that infatuation can be another name for love at first sight; little do they know that infatuation is only scrambling their brain to the point of being extremely destructive.
- Infatuation can be extremely flaw-blindness, which is normally very destructive.
Fantasies which is a form of infatuation, do quite many things to your brain and body, and one of those major things is clouding an individual’s judgment. The first times or rather encounters with an individual are normally very enticing and absolutely wonderful; nonetheless, their chances are complete and almost perfect are normally very slim. To this effect, it’s clear that they can be easily blinded by infatuation.
- Infatuation Might Result in Forgetfulness
Ideally, infatuation can easily result in a brain crisis where your brain narrows down to a scope of a singular focus which eventually tunnels your vision. This is to mean when your brain is preoccupied with thoughts of someone new. The chances of dropping off its list of priorities are very high, and for instance, if you had the intention of dropping by grocery as you head home, then you might end up forgetting since your mind will be so much preoccupied.
- Infatuation Results to Insecurity
Ideally, infatuation can cause serious anxiety and more so since you are too much focused on impressing someone else. As a result, you end up turning your anxieties inwards that way, focusing on bettering your imperfections. This might reach the point that you take things too personally, and things that were normal to you indefinitely become bothersome.
- Infatuation Might be Exhaustive
Again, infatuation can also result in extreme destruction, and more so when you find yourself having sleepless nights. Most of the time, you could lie down for more than three hours without sleep and all because you are thinking about someone new. The truth is that infatuation weakens your body and mind and, at times, daunting.
Can infatuation be dangerous?
Infatuation is part of life and to be projected in the initial stage of a new relationship. Infatuation becomes dangerous if the feelings never grow past the initial stage. If the infatuation does not advance to another stage, then the infatuated person does not propagate emotionally, socially, and culturally. The entity of infatuation may be thrilling at first. Still, if it does not progress to another stage, the object of infatuation may become unsatisfied or angry or may lose interest. Infatuation is good in the first phase of a relationship becomes dangerous if not progressed to the next expected state.
What are the symptoms of infatuation?
- Spending less time with friends and family than you did before.
- Overlooking undertakings you usually engaged in.
- Acting in a possessive manner.
- Being irrational or illogical.
- Allowing your emotions to overcome you.
- Living in a world of fantasy when it concerns this person you are infatuated with.
- Relying on a person you are infatuated with to be responsible for you with everything you need and complete your life. This is a toxic expectation because depending on one person cannot complete someone’s life and fix you for heartbreak.
What does infatuation do to the brain?
Infatuation can make you do outrageous things that can adversely affect your overall livelihood. Infatuation works together with many of the same brain chemicals that control mood and behavior and make you feel euphoric and destructed to the point you may abandon other areas of your life to get closer to that special someone.
It can make you feel irrational, anxious, and exhilarated to the extent that you cannot sleep, eat, or stay attentive. And sometimes infatuation factually leaves you breathless.
Do guys forget their crush easily?
No, guys remember their crushes; they always reminisce them as the perfect human being who could have transformed their life or at least as an image to reverie about the life that could have been. Guys consider crushes to be the perfect example of beauty because they don’t know her well physically, emotionally, or even spiritually. Therefore, they end up having this illusion of a flawless lady who would have transformed his life into a better one. Hence the guy keeps clinging on to that image of the person they crushed.
Does infatuation turn into love?
Water cannot be converted into wine with ambitious thinking. Therefore, you cannot turn infatuation into love but can do it with rationality and cause. This requires you to accept reality, which cannot be reformed with wishful thinking. You have to accept that you can do all that is within your capability to materialize your needs. If you have self-esteem issues or if the subject of your infatuation is not worth true love, then your infatuation cannot be converted into love. You will have to be sure that you are capable of feeling love and your subject deserves it. Once this criterion is satisfied, you can fall in love.
Why does infatuation happen?
- When you feel the need to be solaced and that person offers you the responsiveness you seek uniquely.
- When you don’t find the right partner in your life which leads to loneliness hence trying to find that missing something to compensate by falling for someone in the short term.
- Lack of love between two people.
- When you face rejection, you tend to believe the person you are fond of is a superman owning only affirmative attributes—your search for love and recognition through that person.
How do you know if a man is infatuated with you?
If you have only known each other for a short period and the energy has already begun to fade.
If you discover that he always concentrates intake only on his needs or desires into consideration.
When only thing he wants is to be physical with you continuously with a little aspiration to do anything else.
Suppose you notice that he becomes extremely jealous repeatedly. He tends to be very possessive of you.
He sees perfection in you, even if it is unfounded.
What exactly is infatuation?
Infatuation is a feeling of thrilling affection and passion for someone that is an impractical expectation of a possible mate or personal bond, without having the knowledgeable aptitude to comprehend it is based mostly on the physical and or sexual attraction at the beginning of the relationship.
Infatuation ultimately fades. The persons realize they have gone overboard emotionally to withstand the relationship long-term. It can become a one-sided obsessiveness connection that is not healthy and is a possessive neurological trait.
How do I know I am obsessed with someone?
It is not bad to know more about your crush, but once you know about him/her, but you continue stalking that person, you become obsessed.
You make a person of interest friends yours. You make sure you know that person’s friends and even befriend them before an introductory session.
You end up disliking any friend of the opposite gender. You end up having so many insecurities that lead to the suffocation of the other partner.
You make your happiness become your partner’s priority by assessing small things in detail and learned as to whether it was for your happiness or otherwise.
Is it normal to obsess over a crush?
Having a crush is a normal thing. But obsessing over a crush is not a good thing, and you need to identify the stages you are currently living to deal with it.
The best way to deal with obsession over a crush is to ignore the person and engage in something you are passionate about. This will help you to occupy your mind with something else instead of that crush you obsess over.
If you are addicted to that person, the best way to deal with this is to consult a counselor. He will offer you some methods that will help you get over it.
Conclusively, infatuation can have a series of effects on an individual and result in destructive outcomes overall. People must understand infatuation is a temporary thing that many are the times that can result in extremely destructive outcomes.