Avocados are one of the most popular fruits, with their creamy consistency and nutritional benefits. It’s no wonder avocados are so highly sought after. In this article, we’re looking at a part of avocados that are often overlooked: the pit.
Is it safe to put an avocado pit in your smoothie? Yes, in small doses and under the condition that you process it first. To be consumable, you will need to peel the outer layer, grate it and dry it to form a powder. Then you can use the powder to mix inside your smoothie.
So what are the nutritional benefits of avocado pits? Read on as we tell you all about it.
Here are the best avocado pit powder you can buy on Amazon
Nutritional benefits of the avocado pit
Avocados are so nutritious that their benefits don’t just stop at their flesh. Avocado pits are also as nutritionally rich as the flesh:
- Fiber: Similar to its flesh, the avocado pit is also rich in fiber. As we all know, fiber is essential for your gut health and keeping your digestive system regular. It helps your body remove unnecessary toxins and stay in tip-top shape. Fiber is also great for those who want to lose weight, as it’s been shown to reduce your appetite.
- Vitamin A: If you feel like your eyesight is getting worse, you might want to consume avocado pit powder, as they’re also rich in vitamin A. This vitamin is what helps you avoid degenerative eye disease. Vitamin A is also shown to skin healthy and improve your immune system!
- Vitamin E: Famous for its use in skincare, vitamin E can help you regenerate cells and keep your overall skin appearance youthful. It also has some regenerative and antioxidant properties that help protect your body’s health in general as well.
- Vitamin C: Famous for its health benefits in your immune system, vitamin C is also important for growth, development, wound healing, and repair for all body tissues. Not only that, but it’s also great for bone, cartilage, and teeth health.
- Potassium: Potassium is an essential micronutrient, which means something you need to consume as it’s important and not produced by the body. It helps keep the chemical balance in your body in general. It regulated fluid-electrolyte balance, muscle contractions, and also nerve signaling. It has also been shown to protect against stroke and osteoporosis.
- Healthy fatty acids: This is another essential nutrient, And if you ever feel like you want to be smart, you need to consume more fatty acids. Fatty acids are great for brain health, fight against depression, eye health, and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Smoothies you can enjoy with avocado pit powder.
Now that you know their nutritional benefits, we can plan out how to consume avocado pits to maximize their effectiveness on our bodies. So you need to pick food ingredients that can work well together with the nutrients in avocado pits. These are some of the food ingredients you can include in your smoothies with your avocado pit powder:
- Dairy products: One of the ingredients you might want to incorporate is dairy products. It can be milk or yogurt, depending on your taste. The calcium in dairy products can work together with vitamin C to promote bone health and growth. Their synergy will probably make you see better results than if you consume them separately.
- Avocado flesh: Another vehicle for your avocado pit powder is the avocado flesh itself. We’ve established that avocado pits are rich in vitamin E and A, essential for cell regeneration. To aid in their absorption, you can consume avocado that contains a healthy amount of fat which acts as a vehicle of both vitamins.
- Berries: The mighty fruits are often called brain food. Berries can aid fatty acids to help maintain brain health together. Not to mention the antioxidants in berries are essential for cell reparations; this, in turn, will aid both vitamin A and E in doing their job. We can honestly say, berries are the MVPs.
- Chia seeds: Last but not least, you may already realize that we’re missing one of the most important macronutrients there is protein. That’s why we recommend you include chia seeds if you are making this smoothie. Chia seeds are protein-dense whilst also low in calories, and protein can help repair cells, just like vitamins C, E, and A.
Word of warning
Some words of warning for those of you who already ran out the door to get avocado pits: this particular ingredient can be toxic if consumed at high levels or not processed. In research involving mice, when avocado pit powder is consumed at a high level, it could cause death.
That’s why making the pit go through heat treatment as well as portion control is key. You need to dry it in an oven at 250 degrees F or 121 degrees C and blitz them into powder form. Only then are they safe to consume, and even then only in small doses?
The safe amount is about 3 mg per kg or 1.4 mg per pound of body weight. That’s very, very, low. Even if you are 100 kg, that’s around ⅓ of a teaspoon a day.
Knowing all that, is it even worth it to consume avocado pit powder?
We suggest that you might want to consume it very seldomly and in minimal doses. And just so you know, you can substitute them with other food easily to obtain the same nutritional content. You can consume bananas, berries, nuts, and even avocado flesh to substitute for the avocado pit powder.